Skip to main content

BigFoot Enduro - Aska Adventure Area - Blue Ridge, GA

Yassss! I'm BACCCK!  My first race since 2015! 💥 I was so stoked to be back to riding mtb when I heard about the BigFoot Enduro.  I have raced the smaller enduro, the Big Creek Quick Six, but these 1-2 miles runs would definitely be a new challenge for me.  Being familiar with the race format and strategy helped with my confidence to attempt this event.

After months and an entire summer of bummers gone to COVID, all my Xterra & triathlon goals went down the drain.  I focused on happiness and for me that meant I couldn't wait to get into the woods.  With two littles at home, it has been so hard to make the time to visit the epic places to ride... I'm looking at you Pisgah!   We made a small trip to Tsali earlier this year for my other cancelled off-road triathlon, but when I went to ride a rainstorm drenched the area and I had to bail. 😤  Luckily I had something new to look forward to, and my husband graciously went along with my crazy idea to do this 5 Stage downhill mtb race during our anniversary weekend.  We dropped the kiddos at the grands for the weekend (FIRST TIME EVER for a TRIP!!!) and took our two Huskies up to Blue Ridge, Ga for an EPIC weekend!  We just got a Jeep Gladiator too, so a MTN trip was much needed #jeeplife!  

So what's an Enduro?  It's a time trial, multi-stage, mountain bike race.  Basically you are timed on the downhills and you can take your sweet time on the climbs! ;)  I wanted to share my experience racing to help inspire confidence and encourage other women who may want to try an Enduro.  Just try it!  You will LOVE it! 💜

https://www.liv-cycling.com/global/campaigns/more-women-racing-enduro-mtb/21939



Blue Ridge, GA
Aska Adventure Area - Stanley Gap ~ Flat Creek ~ Green Mtn

Race Day:  After a whirl wind of last minute race date changes, we ended up racing on Sunday.  The weather was cool with a hint of lingering humidity from summer and some isolated rain storms.  The forest got around 3in of rain the prior days, so I knew this race would be more challenging than ever.

I showed up at the wrong start spot to get my timing chip, but quickly rerouted to The Ridge @ Stanley Gap, the campsite facility where the event was being sponsored.




Transition to Stage 1:  Stanley Gap Climb
A non-timed 2 mile climb to the top of Stanley Gap.  I'm so thankful for my "trail angel" I met, Jeremy..  He was deticated to walking the entire climb, and without that I know I would have tried to climb and KILLED my legs.  A welcome convo with a chill ascent to the top of the mtn was most triumphant!


Stage 1:  Stanley Gap - A short downhill, then a climb 😥 then another fast and super rocky descent.  Woah.  I had to walk that insane rock drop..  It had just rained while I was climbing so the rocks were slippery and I was riding super cautiously!  #Justdon'tfall #meow

Stage 1:  06:39.754



Small Transition then on to another Stanley Gap descent section:


Stage 2: Stanley Gap 2 - The long downhill.  What a ride, holy cow.  I don't think I've ever descended on this section before.  It was super technical with lots of rocks!  I was hauling at a moderate pace.  The rocks were slick and I was basically trying not to fall here.  This was the beginning of the race and my biggest goal was to be safe and conservative.

                     Stage 2:  09:06.676




Stage 2 End : Photo: @laniabaina811


Transition to Stage 4:  Long slow 3 mile climb.  Starting to feel hungry and little tired.  Just a tad.


Stage 4: Flat Creek - Long   My all time favorite downhill section..  I love this one so much.. It's straight and FAST!  One of the few sections I have ridden in the past...uh like in 2013 😆  Yeah it's been a HOT minute.  Excellent run, my best of the day.  Glad I took the recommendation to hit this stage next instread of 3, it was about a 3 mile climb to get to the start. I had the huskies for a little bike jor but only for a little way.. I am so happy with my time. I was #1 in time for the Women's Open on this stage. 👊

                    Stage 4:  8:28.704

Transition to Stage 3:  Flat Creek mud fest to Aska Rd.  I took my Sweet-Ass-Time 💘 Stage 4 was a huge effort on my legs and I was starting to feel the fatique.

Ready to Start Stage 3 : Photo @deirae

Stage 3: Flat Creek - Short - A fun descent into the woods, an unfamiliar direction as I've only climbed this section...back in 2013  😆  It was RAD, FAST, and LOTS OF TIGHT turns.  The dirt was perfect and I enjoyed every minute of this stage.   I KNEW this was my 2nd to last effort with only 1 stage left, and that gave me lots of HOPE I could actually finish this race!  Another kick-ass effort on my time.  I was #1 on this Stage for the Women's Open as well. 👊 Lesson learned: PRE-RIDE is a MAJOR advantage!! 

                Stage 3: 04:13.379

Transition to Stage 5:  Flat Creek mud fest to Aska Rd.  More mud, creek crossing, no problem, I was all smiles.  ONE MORE STAGE TO GO!!!!  That's all!  I knew Hubby would be waiting for me at the bottom/end, so I kept telling myself "I GOT THIS!"   My mantra for this race was "Loosey Goosey, Gary Busey"  That kept me loose and lively.  It's the little things on race day that make a big difference.  I definitely recommend mantras for races, it helps so much!   

Kisses for my Girls 💕
Husky pulls & my true love 💖





(VIDEO)









Stage 5: Green Mtn  - The LONGEST DESCENT OF MY LIFE.  lol  No for real, I was so dead tired after climbing, eh eh, walking to the top of Green Mtn... Where my heli shuttles when I need them?! 💩  The start was weird... At the top of the mtn was fresh cut trail that wrapped around trees and a sideways log on the trail.. NO!  Fall.. already..  not good.  I got back up and pressed-on.   Taking the 
wrong path, but ultimately made it to the downhill.  I was riding hard.. I knew it was the last stage.  My LEGS were so tired I could barely stand up.  I usually stand up the entire descent.. but I was looking for places to sit down.. I was so exhausted!  ALMOST DONE!  As soon as I crossed into the narrow single track, I slipped on some wet roots, crashing hard on my hip & legs.  DANG IT!!! SO TIRED! I dragged myself off the ground and pedaled my heart out to the end.. I was so close.  I could hear the people at the bottom.  SWOOP - I made it.  Cross the creek and LAID down on the ground.  I was shocked.  I MADE IT.  I ACTUALLY MADE IT!!!!  OMG I was so freaking happy.  I couldn't believe I did it!!!  I was so tired my lip was quivering.. I wasn't sure if it was from freakish happiness or pure exhaustion.  It was an amazing feeling to finish! 







TOTAL TIME:  3:41.50


SO INCREDIBLEY STOKED for 🏆3rd Place 🏆 in the women's open!!! Thank you everyone for your support!  Especially my Hubby!  Thanks The Ridge @ Stanley Gap for the awesome event! 

Stoked MTB MAMA

#jeeplife - After the race



Full Results:







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Xterra Intentions

My beautiful family     Hello Again!💜 WoW, two babies in 4 years and I'm finally ready to get back to off-road triathlon after a 6 year hiatus!  It was so tough with baby #1 getting my riding time in and I'm finally more seasoned with my life/work balance and now baby #2... I think I can do this again!  I can't believe it's been 6 years now, it's like I'm starting off new!   ...but I still have my skillz and I'm so stoked to have some new goals! Now that I have a new year in front of me it's time for some excited new goals -   to rekindle my passion for off-road triathlon !!   My last Xterra was Fort Yargo back in 2014 and I was so stoked to get 2nd place in my age group and finish the race strong...  Big changes came after that, we bought our first house, moved to the burbs, and I got a new job...then BAM I was pregnant with my first little girl ! 💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖 While I was out, there were lots of changes to Xterra,... The o